Friday, November 11, 2011

Currently Post for November 4th

Memorable quotes of the week:

1. "Hello? This is Jack Torrance. My son here can't stop crying. Please send THE MEN INWHITE COATS to take him to the SANNY-TARIUM. He's LOST HIS MARBLES."

2. "I don't intend to bring any alcohol up here, and I don't think there will be any opportunity to get any before the snow flies."

3. "Danny's answering shriek, then Wendy's shocked gasp as she came around them and saw the peculiar angle of Danny's forearm; no arm was meant to hang quite that way in the world of normal families."

***  My favorite quote this week was quote #1. This dialogue occured when Jack was drunk and threatened his son for crying because he has seen dead people. Jack's lack of compassion and ridiculous response to his son's fear presented in this quote augments his lack of sanity and how his alcholism has impacted his character. 

This week I dug into the nitty- gritty of The Shinging. The more I read, the more I remembered from the movie.  One scene I remember in particular is when Jack was in the ballroom one night and was stressed out over his writing block.  He said something to the effect of, "I would trade my soul for a drink right now." Suddenly, the previous and now deceased bar tender appears and offers Jack a drink. I remember when I first saw this movie scene the ominous feeling that it gave me.  Jack talks to the old bartender who seems to have empathy for all of Jack's problems. Then, a crowd appearsin the background and there is a lavish ball. A man approaches him with a drink and it is the old house keeper who killed his family and is dead.  Menicingly, he wiggles his way through Jack's thought and somehow convinces him to murder his family in the same manner he had.  At this point, Jack's whole character has stepped into the dark side.  He spends his time away from his wife and Danny and simply writes, sentence after sentence.  One day, his wife stummbles over a stack of paper he has typed, the papers read "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." At this, his wife freaks out and the climax of the story is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment