Thursday, September 29, 2011

Return: The Night of The Gun

         So this week I decided to return to The Night Of The Gun because I have finished my 2 girly books and realized that I kind of neglected this book for them... whoops! The more I read this, the more murky and dark it becomes. This poor guy is stuck in this constant trans of cocaine, and women, and guns and everything else that doesn't mix.  He ends up getting a chic he was dating pregnant and they get married.  He finds out he is having twins. He made and effort to clean up and is still clean today, but his girlfriend relapsed. Initially,both of them had custody of their girls taken away but David was granted custody after he cleaned himself up.  I can truly relate to this book hands on because my mother chose the path of drugs and I too live a life with a single parent, my Dad.  He has relapsed on and off with alcohol abuse and  I understand his struggle.  I was so proud of Davis upon discovering that he cleaned himself up for his children, because it was the most selfless act he had ever done up to this point in his life and he really got the better end of the bargain by doing so.  He has two beautiful kids, a great job, a family, and most of all, his integrity. Go David!
    I still have perhaps 100 pages left to read. The book as I mentioned in my first post, goes through 60 collected interviews where David id trying to figure out what happened on the crazy night with the gun when his best friend called the police on him.  Every story is different and so are the opinions of him. The reactions of the people he interviews are somewhat startling because the people almost seem distant from him in a sense  , as if they were never close to him or knew him very well.  A great deal of the people he interviews were his old partying buddies and college friends.  David seems so much more advanced than them at this point because he is a civilized, sober, mature adult,  Some of his friends still party.  Some of the people are creepy gang people and I honestly must say i'd be a little scared even approaching them.... That's about where I left off , more next week ;)))

No comments:

Post a Comment