Friday, October 21, 2011

Currently Post

     This week I finished up what was left of Night Of The Gun by David Carr.  The remainder of the book focused more on his new healthy relationship with his family and where he stands today.  He has two beautiful young twin girls whom he loves more than anyone.  The fact that he is so appreciative to those who helped him overcome his addiction is truly remarkable.  Now that I have read the book, it almost seems unreal to me that a person with that many problems could straighten himself out and be more successful than many Americans. Although he is drug free, he still has an edge to him- he has that New York spunk still.  Its sad to me that so many people these days have bailoads of talent and almost mask it with the use of drugs.  I'm not saying that the drugs destroy their talent, because I know a lot of people who use drugs and can still function while their high, but its simply that people consume their time using drugs rather than pursuing their talent(s).  That to me is what makes a drug addict useless- the fact that they don't take the time to do anything useful.  fortunatly in David's case, he was able to regain control of his life and pursue his talent of writing. 
    The next book i'd like to discuss is The Shining by Stephen King.  Before I read it, I had already seen the movie. I think I saw the movie when I was around 6 and it scared the crap out of me. So far, I am getting near the same effect from the book.  The fright effect is also slightly enhanced from reading the book because now I have those mental images from the movie to play along with the book.  Great.  So theres Jack, Wendy, and Danny.  They're a family.  Jack is interviewed to get a caretaker job for the winter at an old run down hotel.  The current caretaker Ullman explains to him though that once the snow fall begins, they will be isolated in the hotel for the winter.  Jack os ok with it though because he is writing a play and says the rest of the family will surely stay occupied.  Jack gets the job. His wife Wendy is worried that Jack's temper will explode and she wants to keep his alcholic tendencies under control. There is both fear and excitement of the new opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment